Emerging Market Entry for Pharma Company
||Prioritize market entry countries for pharmaceutical company based on incidence of a rare disease, unmet needs, and health economics.
||A large pharmaceutical client with capabilities around a rare disorder engaged Scriplogix to prioritize global markets for entry. They wished to profile the opportunity across the five regions of US, Europe, Asia, Middle East and Australia. Specifically, they wanted to understand the relative disease burden, current treatment and care pathways, markets with the greatest underserved populations, cost considerations, pipeline review from secondary data, and the potential for future market expansion.
||RESEARCH: LISTENING LOUDLY - Information was collected from five regions, including:
- Peer reviewed literature, epidemiologic data and other public health economic data, reimbursement modalities and trends from traditional and digital sources.
- Buzz from conferences and conventions from digital compendiums and social data.
- Health economic data including demographics, prevalence, and incidence at the country level aggregated to regions. Getting comparable statistics across markets required significant depth of operating knowledge of how data were compiled by the various sources in different markets and the credibility of updates.
- At least two major publications were sourced from each market (where such content was published) to profile the disease, patient behavior, and treatment modalities.
- Primary research interviews by Scriplogix-affiliated physicians of published experts and practicing physicians and hospital CEOs in key countries across the five regions.
Two types of analyses were performed to drive insight:
- Descriptive analytics: Health economics and disease burden, including sizing of overall unmet needs and thus, market opportunity.
- Predictive analytics: Modeling demand under alternative competitive and regulatory scenarios – based on a pipeline and business analysis projecting possible participation patterns by other pharmaceutical companies, cost of entry, reimbursement design and several other business variables.
We provided three areas of insight to help our client develop their plans:
- Disease briefs on current disorder, including current disorder occurrence and treatment.
- Forward looking market dynamics, including treatment options, considering competitive drug development pipelines and health economics.
- Prioritization of countries with the greatest projected unmet disease incidence.
||The engagement was completed faster than budgeted, and produced recommendations adopted by the steering committee:
- Comprehensive mapping and prioritization of opportunity in the disease area was completed at a fifth of the time it would have taken an in-house product strategy team to accomplish.
- The project sponsor presented our findings to the company Management Steering Committee. Our recommended prioritization of markets was adopted comprehensively and the company has since successfully entered three of the markets prioritized.